Event - August 8th - ODFW Salmon Fishing Workshop
NOTICE: This event has been cancelled due to low ODFW registration for the class.
Learn the basic skills required to fish from shore or a boat for salmon and steelhead. We’ll discuss the different types of rods and reels needed to suit your particular techniques, and the right sort of water to use them in.
For steelhead fishing we’ll show you how to rig up for the subtle art of drift fishing, the simple but effective jig and bobber method, or how to use a sideplaner to use steelhead plugs from shore. Those bites on plugs are really powerful!
For salmon fishing we’ll show you the strategies of anchor fishing with wobblers, how to properly bait wrap a Kwikfish or Flatfish, and trolling with spinners. We’ll also cover that hard to master herring rigging to help you get the spin just right. To complete the picture we’ll show you the setup for bobber fishing with an adjustable depth bobber and bait setup for tidewater, where all those salmon hold before finally ascending into the rivers after a hard rain. Yes, someday it will rain… Learn about the importance of tides for salmon fishing, reading a tide book, and choosing the best days to go. Once you have a fish, you may want to smoke some of it too! We’ll show you how, and give you a taste of some we have made.
Your class fee includes a free one year introductory membership to the NW Steelheaders. This clinic is taught by members of the Sandy River Chapter of the NW Steelheaders.
Class fee also includes a free picnic style hotdog lunch , snacks for break times and soft drinks, prepared by members of the Sandy River Chapter of the NW Steelheaders.
Click here to register:
Clinic presenter – Ralph Young
- 9-9:15 Introduction and registration- Frank Cantino
- 9:15-10:00 General info on rods, reels and lines- Jeff Kirkman, Steve Rothenbucher
- 10:00- 10:45 Knots- John Hydorn, Doug Briggs, Steve Rothenbucher
- 10:45- 10:55 Short snack break - Robert Wisher
- 10:55- 12:00 Rest o’ the knots - John Hydorn, Doug Briggs, Steve Rothenbucher
- 12:00 – 12:30 Lunch- Kathryn and Art Israelson
- 12:30- 12:45 Fish Smoking and brines- Larry Palmer
- 12:45- 1:45 Drift fishing and Sideplaners- Jeff Kirkman, Jeff Stoeger
- 1:45- 2:50 Bobber methods- Jigs for steelhead, bait for Chinook salmon- Jeff Kirkman, Jeff Stoeger
- 2:50 – 3:00 Short snack break- Robert Wisher
- 3:00 – 4:00 Where to go – maps, tides. Best water types for different techniques- Ralph Young, Doug Miller, Larry Palmer
- 4:00 - 5:00 Salmon boat fishing methods- Anchoring with wobblers, K-Fish, trolling with spinners or herring- Buzz Wilcox
- 5:00 clinic ends, Room takedown and cleanup.